This double braided ponytail looks tricky and intricate but when you break it down it is surprisingly simple. The technique behind this look is one I’ve featured before in several other tutorials and is nearly identical to the Woven ponytail. It’s actually a waterfall braid and french braid combined together and the only difference is the placement of the two braids. I love this hairstyle when I feel like wearing my hair in a ponytail but want to dress it up a bit. Once you get the hang of it I think you will fall in love with it as much as I have.
If you already love this style then be sure to check out my previous tutorials featuring the same technique:
Bonus Dutch Braid versions:
Double Braided Ponytail Supplies:
Double Braided Ponytail Instructions:
- Step 1 / With a part on the right side, separate the hair from the part down to the left ear.
- Step 2 / Tie off the hair at the back so it stays out of the way.
- Step 3 / Divide off a 1″ section of hair along the hairline and clip it out of the way.
- Step 4 / Divide the remaining front section into two equal halves.
- Step 5 / Clip off the forward section to start working on the back half.
- Step 6 / Take a 1″ section of hair, next to the part, and divide it into three pieces for a waterfall braid.
- Step 7 / Cross the side strands over the middle, one at a time, starting with the back strand.
- Step 8 / Next, cross the back strand over the middle and bring in a section of hair, incorporating it into the crossed strand.
- Step 9 /Drop down the front strand and bring in a section of hair from directly underneath it, crossing it over the middle section as a replacement piece.
- Step 10 / Continue braiding the section of hair, dropping the front strand and bringing in a new piece to create a vertical waterfall braid.
- Step 11 / Once the braid reaches the ear, continue in a regular braid, and tie it off with an elastic.
- Step 12 / Next, unpin the forward section, previously pinned and create a french braid incorporating the waterfall strands into the back section of the braid.
- Step 14 / Continue braiding the hair until it reaches the ear, then braid the rest into a regular braid and tie off the end with an elastic band.
- Step 15 / Let down the back hair and sweep it up into a low ponytail.
- Step 16 / Bring the braids into the ponytail and the 1″ section along the hair line, tying it all together with an elastic band.
- Step 17 / Gently pinch and pull the hair above the hair band to create a bit of volume at the back of the crown.
- Step 18 / Take a piece of hair from underneath the ponytail, wrap it around the hair band, and secure it underneath with two bobby pins creating an “x.”
- Step 19 / Grab a curling iron and curl the ends of the ponytail.
- Step 20 / Then finish with a few spritzes of hairspray to hold everything in place.