This elegant updo may look complicated but that is the beauty of it. You will never believe how easy it is to recreate! The secret is that it is actually one little lace braid and a messy bun. Whaaaat?! I know. This hairstyle is so pretty it would look great for a school dance, wedding or formal occasion! Of course, if you feel like dressing up to vacuum around the house then it’d work great for that too cuz let’s be honest, that’s what I ended up doing!
This hairstyle was created on a whim but like most hairstyles I try out in my free time, it turned out differently than I had originally planned. Needless to say I love the look and am so excited to be sharing the tutorial with you. I hope you give it a try and change it up to reflect your own personal style or sparks a hint of creativity for your next big event! xo
Lace Braid Wrapped Bun
- Step 1 / Brush through the hair to remove any tangles and add some curl to the ends if so desired. Then with a side part, pick up a 1″ section of hair on the heavy side of the part, near the hairline. If you like to leave hair out around your face, then separate this out now so it doesn’t get in the way.
- Step 2 / Create a lace braid by crossing the side strands over the middle and incorporating hair into the braid from the top of the head.
- Step 3 / Continue braiding the hair, working downwards at an angle so the braids creates a diagonal from the top of the head down to the shoulder.
- Step 4 / Tie off the end of the braid with a clear elastic band.
- Step 5 / Sweep the remaining hair towards the back of the head and tie it into a bun. Since the bun will be hidden by the hair from the braid you can create any bun you’d like. I did the bun from this tutorial but the “easiest top knot” technique would also work well.
- Step 6 / Next, pick up the braid and roll it upwards and drape it across the top of the bun so it’s sitting upside down.
- Step 7 / Slide 2-3 bobby pins into the braid to secure it above the bun.
- Step 8 / Wrap the end of the braid around the right side of the bun and tuck it underneath, securing it with 1-2 more bobby pins.
- Step 9 / Set the style with hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.
- Step 10 / Grab a curling iron and curling any pieces let out to frame the face.