If you have already mastered the crown braid and top knot then you will love this hairstyle. It’s a combination of both and a fabulous way to wear your hair this Summer. It gets the hair off your neck, keeping you cool and looking chic all season.
I am a huge fan of this style and have wanted to create my own version of the look. It took me a few practice runs to get just right but I know you can get it down too with just a bit of practice. Give it a try and as always, tag me on instagram and twitter (@missysueblog) if you decide to recreate the look!
Dutch Braided Top Knot
- Step 1 / Beginning with a part on the right side, separate off a large section of hair at the crown (this is for the bun) and tie it off with an elastic or alligator clip.
- Step 2 / Start a Dutch Braid and continue braiding the front portion of the hair until reaching the nape of the neck.
- Step 3 / Continue braiding the hair around the back of the head.
- Step 4 / Turn the braid so it trails up the right side. This is the trickiest part and takes a bit of practice to get right. If you end up with random bumps, they can always been pinned down at the end.
- Step 5 / When all the hair is brought into the braid, finish braiding the section in a regular braid; then go back and gently loosen the edges to create a fuller braid.
- Step 6 / Lay the braid behind the start of the braid and pin it against the head.
- Step 7 / Next, let down the section of hair, that was pinned at the crown.
- Step 8 / With a hair band, wrap the band twice over the hair as if creating a ponytail.
- Step 9 / Before the last wrap, lean the head forwards and spread the base of the ponytail in a circular pattern, as if covering a mesh hair donut with the hair.
- Step 10 / Now wrap the “donut” with the hair band and gently pull on the edges to create a larger “donut” shape made by the hair.
- Step 11 / Take the rest of the hair that is sticking out from the band and twist it all together.
- Step 12 / Wrap it around the base and pin down the end with a bobby pin.
- Step 13 / Using several bobby pins, grab small sections of hair and pull it down to the head, pinning the bun against the head.
- Step 14 / Continue pinning until it creates the shape that you prefer.
- Step 15 / Set the style with hairspray and you are done!