I have been seeing so many cool combination braids lately that I wanted to try my own version of the style. This hairstyle is similar to the Braid Twisted Ponytail but with a little more edge. It’s nice because it gets the hair out of the way but amped up with all the added detailing. I have definitely been leaning more towards ponytail hairstyles lately since it has been squelching hot with 100+ degree weather. This style is great though because it can easily to changed up to fit your own personal style whether you switch the braids for twists or the fishtail with a regular braid, it’s easy to do and the best part is not a single bobby pin is needed; so let’s get on with it.
Braid Embellished Bohemian Fishtail
- Step 1 / With a part on the right side, pick up a 1″ section of hair in a triangle shape on the left side of the part. Divide the section into three pieces and begin a braid, crossing the side strands over the middle. Cross the side strands once more and incorporate sections of hair into the braid alternating left and right. Then braid the rest of the section down into a regular braid.
- Step 2 / Wrap the braid around the back of the head and tie of together with a small section of hair on the right side. This will anchor the braid against the head without the need for any bobby pins.
- Step 3 / Pick up a 1″ section of hair on the right side of the head, near the hairline, and braid it down into a regular braid.
- Step 4 / Wrap the braid around the back of the head and secure it against the head by tying it together with a small section of hair on the left side.
- Step 5 / Pick up a small section on the left side, underneath the first, and repeat step 1 braiding the hair down to the end.
- Step 6 / Cross the section behind the head and tie it together with a section of hair on the right side.
- Step 7 / Repeat steps 5 and 6 with another section of hair on the right side, braiding it, wrapping it and tying it off.
- Step 8 / With the remaining hair hanging down, separate off two sections, one on the right and one on the left and combine them together over the top of the other hair hanging down. Then tie off this section with a clear elastic band, creating a ponytail sitting on top.
- Step 9 / Create a topsy tail by flipping the tail of the ponytail, created in the previous step, up and through the loop. Then flip it once more through to create a wrapped effect. [Not shown: Tighten the topsy tail to push closer towards the nape of the neck then gently pull on the edges of the wrapped hair to make it appear fuller.]
- Step 10 / Divide the remaining hair that is hanging down into two sections and braid each section into a fishtail braid. Tie off the ends with clear elastic bands. [For a quick reminder on how to fishtail braid, check out this tutorial!]
- Step 11 / Wrap the two fishtail braids around each other and tie them together at the bottom with another elastic band.
- Step 12 / Spray the style with medium-hold hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.