With Summer here, music festivals are popping up everywhere. I have a few friends who like to go every weekend so I thought a tutorial for a more bohemian style was in order. This hairstyle is different than anything I have ever done before and is a tiny dutch braid along a center part that divides off into two smaller braids, wrapping around the noggin, and tied in the back. If you’ve got your dutch braiding down then this will be a piece of cake so let’s get on with it!
Festival Hair Tutorial:
- Step 1 / Start by spraying your hair with a heat protectant spray from roots to ends. I am using Tresemme Get Sleek.
- Step 2 / Next curl your hair in 1″ sections using your favorite curling wand; mine is the Lustrum set from NuMe. Leave out the ends of the hair so they lay a little straighter and alternate between curling the hair towards the face and away from it. This will give the curls a bit of definition and more carefree beachy look.
- Step 3 / Next grab your favorite shine spray, like the Oribe Apres Beach Wave and Shine Spray, and lightly mist this from midshaft to the ends.
- Step 4 / Distribute the product through the hair with your fingers and tousle the curls for a more beachy vibe.
- Step 5 / Next divide off a section of hair about 1/2″ thick at the center of the top of the head. Clip off the sides so you don’t accidentally bring extra hair into the braid.
- Step 6 / Create a dutch braid with this section, stopping when the braid reaches the hairline. Watch this video for a quick refresher on how to dutch braid.
- Step 7 / Now divide the section into two halves and braid each half down into a regular braid. Tie off the ends with a clear elastic so it doesn’t come loose.
- Step 8 / Bring both braids around the back of the head and tie them together with a third elastic band. Now remove the two elastics previously holding each braid.
- Step 9 / Spray the style with a medium hold hairspray and you are set to go!