Messy buns, top knots, donuts are some of the best hairstyles ever because they are quick and easy and perfect when your mop is due for a wash but you haven’t had the time to do it. Adding a small detail, like a braid, is one of the easiest ways to dress up that 2 second bun. I personally love adding a dutch braid up the back, or even two dutch braids into a low messy bun like this popular hairstyle. If you wanted to get even crazier, try this style with a dutch braid and fishtail combo!
Looking for a refresher on a simple top knot? Check out my Easiest Top Knot Tutorial; it takes seconds to do and you’ll wish you’d seen it sooner!
Waterfall Braid Top Knot
- Step 1 / Begin with a part on the right side.
- Step 2 / Pick up a section of hair, on the heavy side of the part, and divide it into three smaller sections for the braid.
- Step 3 / Cross the back strand over the middle strand.
- Step 4 / Now cross the front strand over the middle strand.
- Step 5 / Next cross the back strand over the middle strand.
- Step 6 / Drop down the new back strand, pinning it out of the way.
- Step 7 / Pick up a new section of hair, crossing it over the middle strand, in place of the strand that was dropped down.
- Step 8 / Cross the front strand over the middle and pick up a section of hair incorporating it into the crossed strand.
- Step 9 / Next, repeat steps 5 through 8 until the braid reaches the left ear.
- Step 10 / Braid the hair down a little ways and tie it off with a clear elastic band.
- Step 11 / Remove the clips holding the waterfall pieces and brush all the hair up into a high ponytail.
- Step 12 / Wrap a hair elastic halfway over the ponytail.
- Step 13 / Twist the elastic band, twisting the ponytail at the same time, and wrap the elastic band over the hair once more.
- Step 14 / Now pull the hair tight so the bun feels secure against the head.
- Step 15 / Gently loosen and straighten the waterfall pieces so they lay symmetrically on the top of the head.
- Step 16 / Smooth down any flyaways with a firm hold hairspray and you are ready to run out the door!