French Braid and Side Fishtail Braid is a new combination braid. I often get asked how I think of all these different tutorials. The simple answer is that there are literally millions of ways to change up different hairstyles simply by using different types of braids. French braids, dutch braids, fishtail braids, then crazy braids like knotted braids, 3d braids…the possibilities are literally endless.
This hairstyle is similar to a few others I’ve done…
but I’ve never actually put a french braid and fishtail braid together… throw in some gold ribbon too and suddenly you have a completely new hairstyle.
I truly hope you love it!
Follow these steps for the French Braid and Side Fishtail Braid:
- With a part on the right side take a section of hair on the heavy side of the part and divide it into three pieces.
- Cross the back strand over the middle then the front strand to begin a French Braid
- Next, cross the back strand over the middle then bring in a section of hair and add it to the crossed strand.
- Cross the front strand over repeating step 3 with the other side.
- Continue braiding until the french braid reaches the corner of the forehead then continue braiding down in a regular braid.
- Take one small section of hair from the three strands, holding it down, and push the rest of the hair upwards bunching it all together.
- Gently loosen the bunched braid and pull the edges out so it looks like a messy, casual version of the original braid.
- Tie off the end with a clear elastic band.
- Grab a teasing brush and gently back comb the top portion of the hair to create volume.
- Pull all the hair over the left should and divide it into two halves.
- Take a small section of hair from one side, cross it over and add it to the other side.
- Now take a small section from the opposite side, crossing it over tot the other side, creating a fishtail braid.
- Repeat steps 11 and 12 until all the hair is braided.
- Gently loosen the braid by pulling on the edges.
- Tie off the braid with a clear elastic band.
- Now add some pretty ribbon right behind the first braid, the french braid, pinning the ends with hair pins.
- Spritz the look with hairspray and it’s done!