Fishtail French Braid Braided Bun features two french braided fishtail braids wrapped together to create a braided bun.
I find that fishtail french braids can be tricky to do. It is easier to lose track of which side you are braiding plus the fact that hair is being brought in on each side. Somehow my fingers just forget what to do and I have to start over.
The best way to tackle the braid though is simply practicing over and over again. The other day we stopped at the store, and since we had Mr. Gooch with us, I decided to sit in the car with him so he wouldn’t get too hot. I decided it would be the perfect opportunity to practice some fishtail french braiding and pretty soon I had the idea for this hairstyle.
I hope you try it out and love it like I do!
- Starting with a side part on the right side, separate out a small triangle of hair from the part down towards the forehead.
- Divide this section into two equal sections.
- Take a small piece of hair from the back section and cross it over the top, adding it into the front section.
- Next, take a small piece of hair from the front section, crossing it over the top, and adding it into the back section.
- Repeat step 3 but then add in a section of hair from right next to it, creating the french braid effect.
- Now repeat step 4, adding in hair on this side as well.
- Continue repeating steps 5 and 6, creating a fishtail french braid, until the braid reaches the left ear.
- Now braid the rest of the hair down into a regular style fishtail braid.
- Tie off the end with a clear elastic band and create a larger braid by gently loosening the sides of the braid.
- Now braid a second fishtail french braid, on the right side of the head, that trails down from the forehead, around the back of the head, and ends at the nape of the neck on the left side.
- Tie off this braid with an elastic band and loosen it by pulling on the sides of the braid.
- Next, take the braid on the right side and wrap it into a bun, slightly off center, at the nape of the neck.
- Slide in some hair pins around the edges to keep it in place.
- Take the braid on the left side and wrap it counter-clockwise, down along the bottom of the bun and up around the right side.
- Pin the edges in place.
- Finish with a bit of hairspray and loosen a few hairs around the face.