Embellished French Braid with Twists features a loose and casual French Braid that starts at the ears and finishes in a thick braid. Two twists at the ears wrap over the top of the braid to give it a bit of detail and it is finished with a cute flower crown (from American Eagle) but here is a similar one that I totally love from urban outfitters.
I love this hairstyle and think it is a perfect way to wear the ever trendy flower crowns that are so happening right now. My first experience with a flower crown was in a head braid for this style post, which was totally fun. There’s a tutorial for the look too if you fancy giving it a try, Flower Crown Braid.
Here’s another way to wear this flower crown which happens to be another one of my favorites, Braided Up and Flower Crown.
Click through for the tutorial…
Follow these steps to get the Embellished Braid with Twists:
- Begin with a part on the right side.
- Separate out a section of hair about two inches back from the hairline and down to the left ear.
- Clip this aside with an alligator clip or hair tie.
- Repeat the same thing on the right side of the head, sectioning off a section of hair.
- Clip the rest of the hair up and out of the way to make tying the flower crown easier.
- Grab your favorite flower crown (mine is from American Eagle) or headband and place it in the part created from the steps above.
- Let down the back hair
- Add in some clip-in extensions if so desired.
- Next, separate out a section of hair from the top of the ears and back towards the back of the head.
- Divide this section into three pieces for the braid.
- Cross the strand in the left hand over the middle strand.
- Now, cross the right strand over the middle strand.
- Cross the left strand over the middle and bring in a section of hair.
- Cross the right strand over the middle and bring in a section of hair.
- Repeat steps 13 and 14 until the braid reaches the nape of the neck and all the hair is brought into the braid.
- Finish braiding the hair down into a regular braid.
- Tie off the end with a clear elastic band.
- Gently loosen the braid by pulling on the edges; this creates a larger braid.
- Remove the clips from the front pieces that were separated in the beginning.
- With the hair on the left, twist it upwards and wrap it behind the head so it sits on top of the French braid.
- Take a hair pin and slide it over the hair in a horizontal direction towards towards the left ear. This will keep it more secure.
- Repeat steps 20 and 21 with the hair on the right, placing it underneath the first twist.
- Tuck any strand ends under the twists and into the hair to hide them.
- Finish by smoothing any flyaways with hairspray and swiping on your favorite lipstick.