How to Highlight Hair Extensions

Highlighting Hair Extensions at Home | MissySue.comHighlight Extensions at Home | MissySue.com

How to Highlight Hair Extensions is a great tutorial for updating the shade of your extensions so they match your new hair color. Dyeing and cutting your extensions so they blend with your real hair is an absolute must!

When I bought my first set of extensions I made sure they matched my natural hair color. It is a dark blonde color and in many brands is labeled as shade #8. They matched perfectly and I loved that. They looked natural and blended perfectly with my hair.

When I decided to gradually go a little blonder, suddenly my hair extensions didn’t match as well and when I wore them my entire head grew darker because the extensions overwhelmed the blonde I had added in. I knew I needed to give them a few highlights so they would blend better with my new hair color.

I asked my hair lady if she would be able to dye them for me but when she said no I took it as the perfect opportunity to share how I would do it at home.

I knew I could just buy a new set of extensions but they run anywhere from $80-$200 whereas a box of dye is only $10.

I have been dyeing my own hair for years now so the idea of doing it myself didn’t seem like a big deal to me.

If you are new to the idea, I would recommend trying it out on one strip of extensions first to see how it turns out. Of course, “practicing” on extensions is always better than practicing on your own real hair.

After dyeing my extensions, the color wasn’t as blonde as I was hoping for so I ended up doing this routine once more a few weeks later. My hair is even blonder now so I have recently been considering dyeing them a third time.

It’s either that or buy a new set so we’ll see if I can stomach up 3 hours of extension dyeing again! Hahaha, all that cropped down into a 3 minute video – you’re welcome, my lovelies. (:

I also cut and layered these extensions too so they would blend better with my hair. You can watch the tutorial for that as well here, How to Cut and Layer Extensions.

Highlighting Hair Extensions at Home | MissySue.com

1. Michele Ann Dalessandro
    June 5, 2017 / 5:51 PM

I am getting permanent extensions not clip ins. Can I still color my hair? I am naturally dirty blonde and always highlight with platinum blonde. The extensions are platinum blonde but I will still need highlights. Is it doable??
    Thanks Michele

• June 7, 2017 / 4:40 PM

Yes, that’s doable (: You can always color your hair and extensions if the hair isn’t synthetic (:

2. Justine
    April 26, 2017 / 6:43 AM

Good day

if i have balck hair and black extentions.Would it look okay if i only put red highlights in the extentions and not my own hair?

• May 3, 2017 / 9:50 PM

Yes, definitely! That’s a great way to add color to your hair without damaging your hair with bleach or color! (:

3. Arsala Bakhtyar
    February 21, 2017 / 11:25 AM

What brand color should I ise? Do I first cut down with bleach then apply color?

4. Julia
    January 12, 2016 / 11:05 AM

Hey :)
    I just came across your tutorial and it’s awesome!
    I am also planning to highlight my hair extensions, which are currently a dark blonde colour. I just wanted to ask if you noticed any damage on your hair extensions after using the bleach? Is it dry or brittle or do you encounter any kind of unnatural shedding? Normally it’s not recommended to dye hair extensions lighter and as my set is brand new, I don’t want to ruin it :)
    Thank you very much for any help!

• January 13, 2016 / 10:33 PM

Hi Julia, I didn’t have a problem with the texture or thickness of my extensions and they hardly shed at all too. You can always do a tester piece on a one-clip weft if you’re worried! (:

5. Katheryne
    December 11, 2015 / 10:02 AM

I looove your makeup !!! It looks super natural and extremely cute. What brand and color number is your lipstick?
    Thank youu!

• December 11, 2015 / 9:32 PM

It’s MAC Creme Cup and Pretty Please (:

6. Rachel
    October 16, 2015 / 3:51 PM

Just wondering…my hair and extensions are the same brown color…I want to highlight just my extensions do you think this would mimic low lights? I have a full head of extensions so I think it would look okay if I didnt highlight my actual hair.

• October 19, 2015 / 11:47 PM

Yes, that’s a great idea. My extensions have more blonde in them than my real hair so I don’t have to damage my hair with highlights as often (:

7. Sarah
    September 14, 2015 / 10:54 AM

Missy,

Where did you get your extensions from/is there anywhere you would recommend?

Thanks!

• September 16, 2015 / 5:30 PM

I recently purchased mine from Sally’s Beauty but now use Luxy Hair extensions. They are great! (:

8. Crystal
    March 24, 2015 / 2:38 AM

Came across this link for highlighting and it’s awesome, just would like to know what brand these extensions are. They dye so well!

• March 24, 2015 / 10:35 AM