Apply eyeliner like a pro and enhance your pretty eyes with a wicked cat eye.
Eyeliner was a sort of revolution for me; a complete and sudden change in course, directly into the realm of makeup euphoria. Growing up I would always play a little bit with makeup but stuck to blush or a swipe of lipstick. Adding in mascara and powder as a teenager brought me one step closer to wearing makeup consistently but it wasn’t until my mom showed me how to apply eyeliner that my world was changed. For me, eyeliner was a luxury, the $7 tube of liquid liner was gold in my hands, applying it sparingly, hoping the day would never come when the bottle ran dry.
Now with gel liner, the amount of time spent on creating that perfect cat eye has gone down from 10 minutes to two. A luxury in itself when that morning rush hits and I am hurrying out the door.
Eyeliner is so unique because it looks different on everyone. The contour completely dependent on the shape of the eyes. Thicker on the edger, slim in the corner, it sharpens the eyes and adds a feminine appeal. I have come a long way since that first day, shaky hands attempting to trace on a smooth line, but practice makes perfect and luckily that’s part of the fun.
Grab your favorite liner, I’m using Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner, and follow these simple steps to get a great cat eye:
- Start on the outer edge of the eyelid, gently tracing a line along the lashes towards the inner corner
- Thin out the line as you reach the inner corner.
- For a standard eyeliner look, keep the outer edge slightly thicker.
- Trace a line straight up from the edge of the liner towards the end of your brow. For a subtle look, keep it less than a fourth of the way up. For more drama, go as far as halfway up to the end of your brow.
- From the top point of the line trace a line back down so it connects with the rest of the eyeliner. Fill in and smooth the edge of this line.