When my hair is feeling really dry and limp (or after I dye it) I like to do a coconut oil treatment. I used to use olive oil but coconut oil is protein rich and high in vitamin E so it has more healing properties, plus the smell is pure heaven.
What you’ll need:
To do the treatment:
1. First, I put on a clean shirt that I don’t mind getting a little oil on and wrap a towel around my shoulders.
2. Next, I get all my supplies ready.
3. Then, I tip my head over so my hair is upside down and I’m leaning over the bathtub. This helps with any drips and mess that the oil will make. (this isn’t shown because I couldn’t angle the picture by myself)
4. I start applying the coconut oil to my hair until it’s thoroughly drenched.
5. Then I squeeze out any excess oil. There should be some since the oil applies as a solid/liquid and then will melt once your head warms it up.
6. Next, I wrap my hair up on top of my head and secure it with a clip.
7. I finish by wrapping a plastic sack around my hair, securing the ends by tucking them back up into the sack. This will keep the heat in and imitates a hair salon chair and heater.
8. I leave this on for 30 minutes; meanwhile, wiping up any oil drips in the bathtub. It’s important not to let any oil clog up the drain. If you’re in a time crunch you can put a blow dryer to it and shorten the time to 10 minutes.
9. I finish by jumping in the shower and shampooing my hair twice. This is important to remember. The oil won’t all rinse out with one shampoo so it’s helpful to do it a second time. Then I condition as usual.
10. When I finish drying and curling my hair it feels softer, fuller, and noticeably softer. Proven by the compliments I’ve gotten this morning at work!
Good luck! Let me know if this treatment works for you!