Tips for Highlighting your Hair at Home

Whewww! Check out those roots!

Tip #1: Before highlighting your hair, make sure you’ve given yourself adequate root growth to work with. Highlighting/bleaching your hair is very damaging and drying and can quickly ruin your precious locks. Wait at least 4-6 weeks before highlighting your hair after a previous dye.

Tip #2: Part your hair down the center. This will give a more even distribution of color throughout your hair.

Tip #3: If using a cap, place the cap snugly on your head to prevent a gap between your roots and the plastic. If the cap is too loose, you won’t get dye adequately on your roots.

Tip #4: Decide what area of your head you want your color to show.

My preference: Face framing plus top of the crown only highlighting.

Tip #5: Decide how blonde you want to be so you know where to pull the hair from.
Most blonde: pull from every hole
Lesser blonde: only circled holes
Least blonde: every other or every third circle [my preference]
Tip #6: Create your own holes if you need hair in a certain spot but there isn’t a marking or hole already.

Tip #7: Run a comb through your hair to ensure there aren’t any loops or hair that is not pulled all the way through.

Tip #8: Only put the bleach on the part of your hair that needs to be highlighted. This prevents your hair from being overly processed and keeps it much healthier!
Good luck!

Comments

1. Janine
    May 29, 2019 / 12:52 AM

After highlights my hair feel like grass. what can repair it.

2. Kathleen Robbins
    December 8, 2018 / 11:13 AM

Hi Missy, my hair is very short in back and on sides. How far down should I go with highlighting it? I am using a cap as well.
    Thanks Kathy

• December 21, 2018 / 6:44 PM

Hi Kathleen, it depends on how much blonde you want to put in your hair (: I’d say start with less and add more if needed.

3. Shellie Petty
    September 5, 2018 / 4:06 PM

Been using frosting caps for years! I have short dark hair so it’s perfect for me. I go to Sally’s and buy my base color and mix myself. After the base color I use the cap and mix my own bleach. After I apply the bleach mixture I cover with cellophane (speeds up the lightening process) and leave on till its as light as I want.
    I found out today that I’m SAVING at LEAST a couple hundred bucks each time I do it! Had no idea it cost that much to have it done!

4. Grace
    June 23, 2018 / 7:14 AM

Why did you not photograph the finished highlight?

• July 17, 2018 / 6:42 PM

Oh no! It must’ve gotten deleted somehow ):

5. Payton
    June 25, 2016 / 9:16 AM

There’s always a special toner you can use to get out brassy tones! Keeping bleach on longer to avoid brassy tones can help but it’ll hurt your hair! Using a toner is a lot better. Also a purple shampoo to keep the brassy tones out after you’ve dyed and toned your hair.

• Donna Earp
      April 23, 2018 / 9:20 AM

The purple shampoo is awesome, if your hair gets a little dull and it’s not time to color yet, this shampoo will bring out all kinds of highlights…
      I Love the purple ?
      I’m going to frost mine in the next few minutes, wish me luck?
      The worst part is just pulling through the bag..

6. October 8, 2012 / 8:40 PM

Hi! I just found your blog from a pinterest pin for cutting your own bangs. I’m pretty sure we used to be neighbors. Did you go to Utah state and live in Old Farm, and sometimes go by Missy? Your blog is great! Its a Small world haha!

Lifelovesleah.blogspot.com

• July 17, 2018 / 6:44 PM

Yes, that’s me! I remember meeting you! Thank you so much! <3

7. October 8, 2012 / 7:19 PM

Thanks for your answer to my comment question. I used Revlon Frost & Glow Honey Highlighting Kit.

8. October 8, 2012 / 4:53 PM

i just colored my hair at home this weekend, but i use a solid box color. much cheaper than going somewhere and looks better. aren’t home color & highlighting kits great when they work and don’t turn out orange?!

9. October 8, 2012 / 4:44 PM

Hey Melissa! I commented on your last highlighting tutorial and with your help was successful with my first home highlighting experience. I was really nervous when I did it so I only left it on for the shortest amount of time suggested (maybe shorter than that if I remember correctly). My only complaint was that my highlights looked a little brassy on my dark brown hair. I ended up doing an all over color a few weeks after my highlight and I liked the highlights better then. Sidenote – when I went to my hair stylist for a cut a month later she could not get over the fact that I highlighted my hair myself and said over an over again how great it looked.

So I do have a question in this long comment. What can I do next time to help with the brassy color of the highlights? Choose a different kit shade, leave on the bleach longer, leave on the bleach shorter?

Thanks for your help. I love your tutorials!

• Jenny
      October 22, 2014 / 10:22 AM

The longer you leave it on the blonder (less brassy) the effect. If your brown hair was your natural colour it can withstand the bleach for a decent amount of time. Leave it on until the colour is right. X

• Carla
      September 10, 2019 / 12:06 AM

Hi, a toner is your best allied to get rid of brassiness. If you leave the bleach on longer than advised, you’re risking to damage your hair. I use Wella T18 (lightest ash blonde) toner in between salon visits. It works wonders!