Tightlining

Now, an easier way to tightline!

Have you ever heard of tightlining? I have heard of lining your upper and lower lash line, however this is a bit more complicated. Basically, you put eye liner whether gel or pencil in between each lash in your lash line. It’s a fabulous way to add great definition to your lashes without looking like you’re actually wearing a thick layer of liner. It’s easy to become a huge fan of this look.

Here’s my shortened video on How to Tightline.

From Beautylish, I found the instructions on how to get this look:
HOW TO Tightline Eyes with Pencil or Gel Eye Liner

1.Using clean fingers, gently lift your lashes upward (this step is only necessary if you find it easier to tightline). You’ll see tiny gaps between your lash hairs, which you’ll be filling in with eye liner.

2.Using either a gel or pencil eye liner, lightly dab the eye liner in between each individual lash (as close to the root as possible), to fill in your lash line and make it look fuller. Start at the the inner and work to the outer corner of your eye. Congratulations, you’ve officially tightlined your eyes!

3.To intensify the look, tightline your bottom lash line as well. It’s the same concept as the top, but you’ll be filling in the space between your lower lashes.

Now go try it lovely ladies and let me know what you think!

Click to watch my video on Tightlining.

1. shannon box
    March 24, 2014 / 5:54 AM

If you keep your brushes clean and you don’t share you’re makeup and get contaminated you should be fine. Cleanliness is the key word! Yes I am qualified to say this probably more than some im sure, if it “scares” you then DON’T DO IT ! or if you are a tree hugger what are you doing on here anyway?
    I just get so aggravated when someone post something good and then you get the barney fifes to come in and talk like they know what there talking about! save it go somewhere , that loves your negativity , we don’t want it here , K??
    sorry Melissa I just had to vent I think you do awesome videos and are very informative keep up the good work kiddo !
    Just so you know im 57 not a child been in the beauty industry a long time and once again I will say cleanliness is the KEY word. :)

• melissa
      March 24, 2014 / 9:26 AM

Thanks, Shannon! I appreciate the love <3 <3

2. ruthann
    March 4, 2014 / 9:17 PM

No one seems to be speaking about the fact that “tightlining” is a high risk for eye infections. Lining ON the lid isn’t a problem, but putting makeup from a brush you use repeatedly on the inside edge of the lid, where no makeup is supposed to go is a long-term recipe for disaster…..use a freshly sharpened smooth pencil a line the tops, close to the lash… save your vision.

• melissa
      March 8, 2014 / 6:44 PM

Vision is very important, I’ll keep your comment in mind (:

3. October 3, 2013 / 10:33 PM

I tightline when I do a smokey eye. Adds the perfect definition.

4. July 26, 2013 / 5:42 PM

I can’t believe some adults don’t know what tight lining is i mean i am 12 i know what it is!!!!!

5. April 26, 2013 / 11:43 AM

Hey. How do you remove it? I always have huge problem with leftover eyeliner between my lashes. I tried earsticks, but they’re too thick. I’m losing lashes because I scrub to hard. :/ any advice?

6. Anonymous
    April 22, 2013 / 2:37 AM

great step by step. i have been doing something similar with liquid liner, but am thinking maybe i need to try gel or the lash lining tool, i smug the liquid liner so bad!

7. April 21, 2013 / 5:20 PM

I used to do this, but now I have contacts it would be a torture to keep doing it! I recommand tightlining for people who don’t have sensitive eyes ;)

8. April 13, 2013 / 5:35 PM

I just use my mascara! Just let the wand sit on your lashline before extending it to your lashes :D wayyyy easier.

9. jen
    April 2, 2013 / 4:21 PM

As far as tattoos and MRI’s go, inks now have to be marked if they contain metals. If you have any doubts, ask for an ink that doesn’t. Black ink, a safe choice in inks and eyeliner colors, rarely contains traces of metals. A good permanent make up artist will know thier stuff.

10. Anonymous
    March 22, 2013 / 5:52 AM

I have my eyeliner tattooed and this is how it was done one dot at a time. Love it

11. Anonymous
    February 8, 2013 / 7:46 PM

Wow, I never even though of this! Thank you!

12. Anonymous
    January 19, 2013 / 5:15 AM

Too faced has an eyeliner with the tip like a comb and it is perfect for tight lining. You can find at sephora.

13. Anonymous
    January 18, 2013 / 2:46 PM

I’ve been doing this for years with great success.

14. Anonymous
    January 8, 2013 / 3:30 PM

This works AMAZING!

15. Anonymous
    January 7, 2013 / 3:57 AM

Doesn’t work…it fades away because of the tear duct and its bad for your makeup to be that close to.your eyes and causes infections.

16. Anonymous
    January 3, 2013 / 8:19 PM

I used to use this technique ages ago… I found it far more difficult to remove it even with my extra-super eye-make up remover. And then I developed a sty. Since then I’ very careful of how I apply eye-liner and would rather stick to the traditional way.

17. Anonymous
    November 19, 2012 / 4:07 PM

I have been doing this for years but i use the tip of my mascaea its so much easer and looks great

18. October 12, 2012 / 1:30 AM

This is a great idea for when you want the more defined, full lash look…

BUT I wouldn’t recommend it for everyday, it’s very difficult to remove from that sensitive area and when you wake up the next day it smears all over and gets in your eyes – not the best for your eye health.

Stay pretty,

19. October 10, 2012 / 7:02 PM

Awesome!!!!

20. Anonymous
    September 17, 2012 / 1:52 AM

can you use liquid

21. September 5, 2012 / 8:45 AM

I’ve always had to do this on my bottom lashes and its worked beautifully! But every time I’ve ever tried to do it on my upper lashes it made my eyes water like crazy and tickled a little bit. Lol! And I have Always prefered the inner lined upper lash look over the outer upper lash lined look! So, my question is, is there any way I can prevent it tickeling and making my eyes water? Thanks for sharing a proper way to do it! :)

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2012 / 4:08 PM

Use mascara

22. Anonymous
    July 9, 2012 / 11:09 AM

Would this work with Liquid liner?

23. Anonymous
    June 8, 2012 / 6:47 PM

Laura Mercier actually has a “tightline eyeliner” … it works wonders!!

24. Anonymous
    May 23, 2012 / 3:04 PM

Make up for ever makes waterproof pigments that are perfect as a gel liner for this. Clean your angled brush every time!

25. Anonymous
    May 23, 2012 / 3:01 AM

I had never heard of this, but I am SO happy I have found it now. I despise eyeliner on my upper lashes it always looks like crap on me. But this looks amazing. Thanks for posting it!

26. May 22, 2012 / 12:47 AM

Hey there! Just stumbled onto your blog last week and I love it. I actually tried this tight-lining technique this weekend. I have very small eyes, so I wasn’t sure what the outcome would be, but it was great. My lashes looked fuller and natural.

Great tip! Thanks!!

27. Anonymous
    April 6, 2012 / 6:10 AM

Also, when you are finished get a q tip and clean up any mess you may of made on your waterline

28. Anonymous
    April 3, 2012 / 3:08 AM

Thanks for teaching this old dog a new cool trick…quick question…love your nail polish…what color is it?

29. March 8, 2012 / 3:43 PM

How funny! I have done this for literally 30 years and they have just now come up w/ a name for it!

(p.s. OOPS! I think I signed into blogger under my hubby’s name w/ the last comment! Please delete that one)

30. March 8, 2012 / 3:38 PM

How funny! I’ve done this for literally 30 years or better and just now they come up w/ a name for it! haha

31. Anonymous
    February 3, 2012 / 6:10 PM

LOVE this. Being very blonde, I have to use something and it has always been difficult to get a narrow line so I don’t look like a … anyway. I LOVE THIS and I feel like a new person. THANK YOU

32. Anonymous
    January 30, 2012 / 2:23 PM

Thanks for the great tip!

33. January 27, 2012 / 6:48 PM

i would love to see a picture of the after effect of tightlining.

34. January 27, 2012 / 12:41 PM

I am here to share, not sell, but you can wake up everyday with Tightlining by getting something called a Lash Enhancement by a skilled permanent makeup artist. It is a beautiful procedure and the real beauty is it will be there for years. Tightlining is difficult to keep on, especially if you have moist eyes or require drops with your contact lenses. You can refresh and remoisten your eyes whenever necessay with a permanent Lash Enhancement. I have been performing these procedures for 22 years and they sure make women happy!

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2012 / 3:24 AM

Approximately how much would a procedure like that cost?

• Anonymous
      October 28, 2012 / 12:10 AM

Yes, what is the cost & WHERE do I find someone in St. Louis MO?!?

• Anonymous
      January 11, 2013 / 4:07 PM

I had it done on my upper lashes a couple years ago and I highly recommend it. I think I paid around $250.

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2013 / 3:38 AM

Does it hurt?

• Anonymous
      March 25, 2013 / 1:26 PM

If you’re referring to tattooing your eyelids, just know that sometimes you cannot have MRI’s done if your tattoo has metallic particles in it. It’ll cause a lot of pain during the procedure and could prevent some important diagnostic treating.

35. Anonymous
    January 25, 2012 / 11:11 PM

Can you do this with contact lenses?

• Anonymous
      January 10, 2013 / 11:39 PM

Yes you cab haha I’ve done this for a long long time before I even saw this. Haha I have contacts it works

36. Anonymous
    January 25, 2012 / 6:53 AM

Do you put mascara on before or after?

37. January 23, 2012 / 8:52 PM

I use this technique as well and it definitely defines your eyes! Thanks for sharing!

38. Anonymous
    January 23, 2012 / 2:09 AM

Had a Laura Mercier makeup artist do this on my eyes almost 8 years ago in Charleston. I couldn’t figure out why I never saw it anywhere else. It does work beautifully.

39. Mae Moody
    January 22, 2012 / 4:33 PM

This takes a little more time and practice, however results are more natural and not as harsh as some eyeliners look.

40. Kelsey Shrum
    January 20, 2012 / 4:36 AM

I use revlon colorstay liquid liner when I do this. Been doing it for years, never knew there was a name for it!

41. Anonymous
    January 19, 2012 / 8:42 PM

I will need to try this. Is there a product that works the best for this?

42. Anonymous
    January 19, 2012 / 2:39 PM

i’ve been doing this since i was 13 – that’s when i started pulling out my eyelashes to the point of major bald spots. but i use a good soft liner…and make sure to get as close as possible to the lash line with my mascara. makes a world of difference! ;)

• January 28, 2015 / 1:45 PM

I also pull my lashes out, since I was a teenager. I have ever since. do you still do this?

• January 28, 2015 / 3:35 PM

Not all the time but occasionally (:

43. Anonymous
    January 19, 2012 / 1:49 PM

I actually had a guy at the Nordstrom MAC counter teach me this. Best tip ever!

• April 7, 2012 / 4:49 PM

I use the ELF liquid liner pen in black. One dollar! I just use short lines back and forth

• April 7, 2012 / 4:50 PM

I use Elf black eyeliner pen. $1. Works like a charm and is easy to use

• September 9, 2012 / 6:51 PM

I work for Laura Mercier we sell Tightliner in a few different colors with an application brush. It’s amazing!! Just wet it with water and dab the brush in it!

• March 26, 2013 / 1:15 AM

The mary kay gel eye liner is awesome. But they are sold out in black. They have teal.

• August 9, 2014 / 6:22 PM

Mary Kay Gel liner is back in our permanent line! yeay!

44. January 11, 2012 / 5:52 PM

I think…..MY EYES ARE WATERING!!!!!

45. January 8, 2012 / 8:10 PM

I love this! I am absolutely going to try this today. Thanks for the tip!!

46. January 8, 2012 / 6:12 PM

So cool and pretty! I’ve never heard of this before!
    Thanks for sharing :)

Katrine
    thegentleflower.blogspot.com

47. January 8, 2012 / 5:52 PM

I always tightline my upper lash line. I think it makes a big difference – my lashes look so much fuller. I only tightline my lower lash line for a darker, more dramatic look.

Gel liner and an angled brush work best to tightline for me.

48. January 8, 2012 / 4:08 PM

I’ve never heard of this. I’ll have to try it. Thanks!